Monday, September 16, 2013

Traditional English Scone Recipe

13.09.2013 - Batam.  I love SCONE.  I was wanted to make my own scone for a long long time but i always hesitate to make them because i don't have a scone cutter!!.  but not anymore, its been too long i wanted to make myself a scone, so i get my lazy hands moving.  I have gather a few recipes.  They are almost the same and  here is the recipe.

Anyway, my pantry run out of self raising flour, and so i make my own.




Ingredients
55g/2oz butter
225g/8oz self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
25g/1oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk

*4tsp baking powder, if you use a ready made self-raising flour.
*added cranberries, optional ( i added 1/4cup of raisins )
* 1 egg,optional ( add into dough )

1 egg wash



Instructions

In a bowl add in 2 cups of flour, sugar, *baking powder, salt and whisk until combined.

Add cold butter and cut butter into flour with fingers. In French it’s sablage. Or you can use a pastry blender or a food processor until fine sands.

Transfer into a bowl.

* Crack an egg into a bowl and beat lightly. Make a well in the center of the butter-flour mixture. Add in milk and egg mixture. Fold just until moistened.

OR

Make a well in the center of the butter flour mixture, add in milk and fold just until moist.

I am adding raisin and stir until just combined.

Flour generously the work surface. Turn the batter on to work surface. ( i have a hard time with my too wet dough, so i add more flour to the dough ) and pat out to a round 1 inch thick.

Then stamp out rounds with a pastry ring ( i used my bb bottle cover to do the shaping since i don't have a proper one ) and place on a baking sheet.

Brush the tops of the scones with egg wash. To make basic egg wash, crack an egg and beat lightly.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until well-risen and golden brown.

Cool on a wire rack and serve with jam & whipped cream





No comments:

Quick & Easy Bibimbap in a Bowl ( Korean Mix Rice )

This for sure is everyone's favourite dish! Bibimbap simply has everything you need in one bowl, eating 'em is easy too by mixing ...